Going to sea and planning for Internet connectivity can be be fraught with challenges of superstructure blockage at higher latitudes, changing heading, heavy seas and congested networks.
Thinking about and/or engaging the HiSeasNet team in your planning process can help achieve better results.
Planning your cruise¶
Questions to ask when planning your cruise:
- Do you have planned research station locations with LAT/LON? This makes it easier to plan communication
- Do you have any VPN-based off-ship access needs?
- Do you have any video access needs?
- Do you have any need for off-ship personnel to access computers on-ship?
- Do you have any need for off-ship personnel to remotely participate in your cruise?
- Do you have any need for real-time or near-real-time data to flow from ship->shore or shore-> ship?
- Do you have any for bulk data transfer that could overwhelm available satellite throughput?
- Will you operate equipment that uses RF? If so, what frequencies?
Things to plan for prior to being on satellite Internet:
- Please patch your OS
- Please patch your anti-virus
- Install a firewall